From line throws to CPR you’ll learn fantastic skills during your NPLQ course that you can use throughout your life.
• Excellent starting point for a career in the leisure industry
• Opportunity for career progression, as most leisure managers start off as Pool Lifeguards
• Varied working hours
• Work within a team
• The NPLQ is recognised around the world, so potential to work and travel
• Great way for students to fund studies
• Learn essential life skills, including First Aid, CPR and AED
About the Course
The course is a six-day intensive course
(Monday to Sunday). No attendance on Saturday.
There is an ongoing assessment through the week, where you will be assessed on attitude, communication skills, teamwork and performance. On the final day there is a 3 hour assessment. It is broken down into 3 sections, so 1 hour for each section.
- Section 1, The Lifeguard, Swimming Pool and Supervision (question and answer based)
- Section 2, Intervention, Rescue and Emergency Action plan (question and answer and practical)
- Section 3, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and First Aid (question and answer and practical).
You must achieve all the sections to qualify. If you fail a section you will then have 28 days to retake that particular section.
• Candidates must be competent swimmers and physically fit
• Candidates must be able to swim 100m on front and back
• Candidates must be able to swim 50m within 60 seconds
• Candidates must be able to climb out of the pool un-aided
• Candidates must have good eyesight
• Candidates must be able to surface dive to the deepest part of the pool
• Candidates must be over the age of 16 years before the start of the course
Where and when?
Courses take place at Lincs Inspire's Grimsby Leisure Centre and Cleethorpes Leisure Centre.
Attendance times for the full week's course is 9:30am - 5:30pm. You must attend every day for the full duration to achieve the necessary hours. You will be in the pool everyday possibly twice at times.
The cost of the course is £200. This needs to be paid by cash or cheque in full at least 2 weeks before the course start date. Please be aware that there are limited places (12) available on each course.