Customer inspires lifeguard to enter swimming challenge
Issued: Friday, April 20, 2018
Lincs Inspire lifeguard and swimming teacher, Bev Barrett, is about to embark upon her greatest swimming challenge to date, all in aid of charity and inspired by a Grimsby Leisure Centre customer.
Bev has signed up for the national Swimathon challenge, which is taking place in two Lincs Inspire pools later this month. Bev has already exceeded her sponsorship target and is set to raise over £500 for Marie Curie.
Delighted with the support she has received from customers and friends, Bev explains why she decided to enter the world’s biggest fundraising swim. “We’ve been hosting Swimathon at our centres for some years now and I’ve never challenged myself to give it a go. But a colleague mentioned it to me and it came at a time where a customer and friend is going through treatment for cancer.
“Initially I said I’d be happy to raise £50, but with support and encouragement of colleagues, friends and my swimming lesson students, I have far exceeded my expectations.”
Bev added: “I’ll be swimming two miles. I’ve never swam that far before and it will take me about 90 minutes – so it will be a challenge for me. Cancer Research UK and Marie Curie are two causes that touch everyone’s hearts. I’m thrilled to be able to do it.”
Bev is embarking on her Swimathon challenge at Lincs Inspire’s Grimsby Leisure Centre pool on Friday, April 27th at 9am. To sponsor Bev, forms can be found at the centre’s reception.
Feeling inspired yourself? It’s not too late to enter the Swimathon challenge. Anyone wishing to take part needs to enter at www.swimathon.org. Lincs Inspire is hosting Swimathons on:
- Friday, April 27 from 8am to 11am at Grimsby Leisure Centre pool; and
- Saturday, April 28 from 1pm to 6:30pm at Immingham Swimming Pool; and
- Sunday, April 29 from 3pm to 6pm at Grimsby Leisure Centre pool.
We aim to keep disruption to a minimum during the Swimathon events. Please see below for changes in opening:
- Friday 27th April at Grimsby Leisure Centre - Public Swimming will be taking place, however lane numbers will be reduced to allow for the Swimathon event.
- Saturday 28th April at Immingham Swimming Pool - Public Swimming ends at 12:30pm. No Family Swim Fun session. Private hire unavailable.
- Sunday 29th April at Grimsby Leisure Centre - Pool is usually closed to the public but is open for this Swimathon session.