Inspiring Lives Open Day - October 2019
An inclusive multi-sports open day at Grimsby Leisure Centre's Health and Wellbeing site saw many adults and children with different disabilities try out a range of sports including rebound therapy, tennis, kwik cricket, adapted cycles and basketball, along with many people enjoying some dancing and arts and crafts.
Regular weekly attendees to this multi-sports session were joined by first-time visitors who were supported by Lincs Inspire sports development coaches, physiotherapists from Care Plus Group and local sporting clubs. Martin Thornley, a new attendee, spoke highly of the range of sports and activities on offer. He said: "It's fantastic to be able to come down and try these different sports. I've never thrown a basketball before but I've tried it today, along with tennis."
Martin, already a keen fitness enthusiast, is always looking for new sporting opportunties in the local area and is an advocate for enocuraing more people with disabilities to get involved in sport and leisure.
He added: "We may have a disability but why can't we do sport? We should do sport and we can do sport. It's great for wellbeing. I always feel better after sport."
The Inspiring Lives inclusive multi-sports activity days take place every Wednesday at Grimsby Leisure Centre from 9:30am to 12 noon led by Care Plus Group and Lincs Inspire. Sports on offer include:
- Trampolines and Rebound Therapy: Led by qualified coaches and practitioners. A mobile hoist and steps are available to safely transfer to the trampolines. Booking required and subject to a health screening.
- Adapted Cycles: Led by practitioners, there is a range of adapted cycles for all abilities, including wheelchair users.
- Inclusive Gym: Fully inclusive open gym sessions for all users. There is a range of disability friendly equipment and qualified gym instructors on hand to assist.
- Toning Therapy: A relaxing therapy session which gives a full body workout with minimal effort or impact. Booking required and subject to a health screening.
- Arts and Crafts: A fun, artistic activity open to all users. A great area to socialise and to create something to take home.
- Dance: A great way to keep active and have fun.
- Badminton: Play singles, doubles or as part of a larger team.
Photographs from October 2019 Open Day